How do I clean the ENVIROMUX-SDS smoke detector?
Tools you will need:
NOTE: Use only lint-free materials when cleaning the chambers of the photoelectric smoke detector. Use of fibrous materials may result in false alarms.
- 2 small screwdrivers (1/8" wide)
- A small soft-bristled artist's paintbrush
- Denatured alcohol
- Clean, dry, compressed air
REMOVE AND DISASSEMBLE THE DETECTOR
Follow the steps in this section to prepare the detector for cleaning:
- Remove the detector from the trim ring.
- Disassemble the detector by placing one screwdriver under the tab as shown in Diagram 2B.
- Then place the second screwdriver under the next adjacent TAB pushing it in the direction shown in Diagram 2B.
- Push the screwdriver outward from the center of the detector and lift the enclosure upward.
- Do the same with the second screwdriver, but do not remove it -- keep it in place.
- Take the first screwdriver and place it under the third TAB adjacent to the second TAB. Push the TAB outward and lift the enclosure upward.
- With the three tabs free, the enclosure will finally remove easily with the application of the screwdriver.
CLEAN THE DETECTOR
CAUTION: Do not attempt to remove the insect screen.
REASSEMBLE THE DETECTOR
- Remove the Outer Cover of the detector as specified and set aside.
- Place the detector in the palm of your left hand and grasp the Chamber Cover with your right hand. Twist the Chamber Cover counter-clockwise until the Cover Tabs clear the Tab Catches. Lift and separate the Chamber Cover and Outer Cover from the Optical Unit.
- Swab the Optical Unit with denatured alcohol using a small soft-bristled brush.
- Use dry clean compressed air to dry the Optical Unit and to remove any remaining particles.
- Clean the Chamber Cover and Outer Cover in the same manner.
NOTE: If after testing, the detector is not working within the prescribed limits, then return it to the manufacturer for servicing.
- Locate the Alignment Arrows on both the Chamber Cover and the Optical Unit.
- Set the Chamber Cover onto the Optical Unit while making sure that Alignment Arrow 1 and Alignment Arrow 2 are aligned with each other.
- Holding the detector in your left hand and grasping the Chamber Cover with your right hand, rotate the Chamber Cover clockwise until the Cover Tabs snap into the Tab Catches.
- Place the Outer Cover of the detector nose down on a flat surface.
- Align the Outer Cover Nub with the Alignment Arrow on the enclosure (two orientations are possible, only one will fit properly).
- With the Outer Cover Nub aligned with the Alignment Arrow, press down firmly on the back of the detector. The detector will snap into the Outer Cover. The detector is now ready to be returned to the Trim Ring from which it was removed.
- The detector should be re-tested by performing the test procedure described in this document.